Monday, August 7, 2006

From Daegu, Korea

I've arrived here in Daegu, South Korea just over a week ago at midnight after about 30 hours of travelling and waiting on airports. Upon arrival I was firstly amazed at how hot it was even at mignight and secondly at how busy the city was. Every day I'm settling in a little bit more and getting adjusted to the ultra fast live here Daegu.

Returning here after the two years I spent in South Africa I was greeted with such warmth and generosity from my old friends and church members. Sometimes it doesn't even feel I went away and at other times the changes are so big and it feels I'm in a whole new Korea. I'm now only working for Mission International (MI) and not for 'secular' English Language School as well. MI has opened their own language school, but at the moment it doesn't take up that much of my time. It's the summer holidays now, so the university outreaches as been put on hold, but there is summer intensive course being held here at church, so instead of us going out to the universtities the students come here. So I teach the conversation part of the intensive course which takes up about 1and a half hours in the morning.

In the afternoons I have a study group with the potential leaders of some of the campusses. The main purpose is dual in the fact that they should improve their English but it's also a time for me to disciple them. Most of them have been Christians for less than a year and there is one guy who isn't a Christian yet, but I just sense in my spirit that he is to become one soon. We study "The purpose driven life". That book is ideal beacuse they use easy English and the spiritual lessons are not too complicated either.

My very fist class I taught after comig back was at the intensive course. Were were about 8 people sitting around a table and discussing some topic, but the guy sitting next to me just stared at me without participating in the conversation at all. At first I decided to ignore him, as it was my first day and everything was still a little strange, for me and for them I believe. After some time the rest of the group also noticed that he was just staring at me and not saying anything. A girl then interrupted the conversation and asked him what's up with him. An akward silence followd her question and then he popped the question.... "What colour are you eyes?" The ice was broken and needless to say then all the students looked deep into my eyes for a moment or two and our conversation topic changed, so we talked about eye colours.

Today I will go with them on an English summer camp, but don't make the mistake I did when I thought we would stay in tents and cook on a fire, no we are going to one of the most exclusive hotels here in the city. For three days the students are only allowed to speak English and if a Korean word would slip out they will be punished!! I'll join them during the day helping them to facilitate some activities and it's also a good chance for me to get to know them better. The camp's purpose is not just to create an English enviornment, we are a mission organisation after all, so our pastor will have some talks with them and everyday will begin with a devotion. Please pray for this camp more names can be written in the Book of Life.

No comments: